A few info about the genius who made whole generations fall in love...
- She was born on February 20th 1951 in Osaka, Japan.
- Her blood type is O.
- A big fan of manga since her childhood, she used to frequent book rental shops keeping it secret from her parents.
- When she was still an elementary student, she even kept a running tab in the book shop!
- Her parents were shocked when they saw the bill to pay, and they obliged her not to buy manga any longer.
- She started drawing manga by herself when she was still a kid (10 years old!).
- She attended the Osaka Seikei Girl's High School.
- One day, when she was attending the 1st year of high school, she made a deal with her mother: if she wasn't able to make her debut as a comic artist during her 2nd year of high school, she would give it up. In return, her mother would let her draw comics during that year.
- As you know, she succeeded. She made her debut as a mangaka in 1967.
- She wrote a lot of manga, the most of which are short horror tales.
- Her masterpiece is Garasu no Kamen, started in 1976 and not finished yet :(
- She won the Koudansha Manga Prize in 1982 with her short horror story 'Youkihiden' and the Excellent Prize of Japan Mangaka Association in 1995 with Garasu no Kamen.
- It seems that she stopped writing manga since she created a kind of religion/organization which focuses on spirituality (O-en)
- Suzue Miuchi's husband was a photographer. It is said that at the beginning she didn't like him and that Ayumi Himekawa and Peter Hammill were modelled on Suzue Miuchi and her husband.
- He owns a French restaurant in Japan.
If you want to contact Miuchi sensei and send her compliments, opinions and suggestions, write her at email@example.com
Suzue Miuchi's Official Site (in Japanese): Olive no Happa
Suzue Miuchi and her assistants (from "Garasu no Kamen"):
Suzue Miuchi as seen by Shinji Wada:
A beautiful photo of Miuchi sensei was published in the magazine 'Shuukan SPA' on February 8th 2005.
Please if you wish to use part of the content of this page, let me know. You can use text and images for personal use only, not for commercial purposes. If you put some of these images in your website, it would be so kind of you if you gave me credits :) In any case, please DO NOT direct link. Save images to your hard disk and upload them to your server. I don't have the copyrights but I worked very, very hard to create this page. Please respect my work!